[Schematron] Help sought: implementation of Character Repertoire in XSLT2 for embedding in schematron

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:25:00 EDT 2008

2008/9/18 Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe at allette.com.au>

> The XSD spec defines a set, based on Perl.  But XSLT2 refers back to the
> Unicode regexes. The two have significant
> differences:  for example the availability of  && operators, the use of ||
> rather than |, and the ability to have nested
> [ items ].

the reference to Unicode regex is only an informative note.
XPath regex are defined to be  the same as XSD's except for 5 extensions as
listed in 7.6.1 of the F&O spec. As far as I can see no use is made of ||,
as an operator.
Actually wouldn't it be easier to do some of the constructs at the xpath
level rather than as a single regex.
ie map intersection to
matches(....) and matches (....)
so using xpath and rather than trying to build a single regex?

>  what is needed is to figure out what
> kind of regular expressions SAXON 9 actually implements, and to generate
> that. I suspect that every different
> implementation of XSLT2 or EXSLT will have a different regex library in
> practise!

If you find saxon differs from what's specified I suspect Mike would pretty
quickly fix that, but if you allow yourself to use xpath operators rather
than just regex, most likely the darker corners of the regex handling can be
avoided in any case.

David

--
http://dpcarlisle.blogspot.com/